*GUEST BLOG - VIT-HIT CRUMBLE CAKE
Wild Women Tea Club - Vit Hit Crumble Cake
By Jen Faulkner
As the clocks go back and the weather turns colder, I always find myself in need of extra comfort. I dig out all the blankets, put on some fluffy socks and place fairy lights and candles around the house even though Christmas is still a distant thought that shouldn’t be mentioned yet… (Unless you’re one of those people who’s super organized and has nailed your Christmas shopping already. I am not one of these people.) This year, more so than ever, we all need to find ways to comfort ourselves and hunker down.
A few days ago I was listening to the radio as I baked in my fluffy socks, and they were discussing how more and more people have been cooking since the start of the pandemic, turning to food for comfort. (No one could’ve missed the endless banana bread and sourdough recipes that have been plastered all over social media this year!) And I’m with them. Hell yes I am with them - but with a twist. I like my bakes to be good for me as well as comforting, and with a little help from the Wild Woman Tea Club, I’ve managed to achieve this.
The Wild Women Tea Club pride themselves on making their natural teas
delicious as well as nutritious. Packed full of flavour they can reduce stress,
balance hormones and inject you with all the vitamins and natural ingredients
you need to calm anxiety and cleanse away toxins. They are like little comforting cups of magic and I’ve been lucky enough to try some of their bestsellers. Their Vit Hit and Flu Buster teas are two of my absolute favourites to both drink and bake with and on this blog I am sharing a recipe for one of those scrummy bakes with you.
At this time of year many people go foraging and there is an amazing array of
berries and delights that can give your immune system a boost and be used in
the recipe below – you can add any berries of your choice! Pair these berries
with the Wild Women Tea Club’s Vit Hit tea and they combine to make the most
delicious and comforting treat – my Vit Hit Berry Crumble Cake!
The Vit Hit tea is a 100% natural, berry-packed loose tea, high in vitamins C and A and is PERFECT for boosting the immune system of the whole family. Delicious AND good for you... what more could you want?
This bake is perfect for a mid morning pick-me-up, or a warming treat straight
from the oven mid-afternoon. Light some candles, put on some fluffy socks and
Vit Hit Crumble Tea Cake
For the cake
150ml boiling hot milk (or almond, oat milk etc)
1 tbsp Vit Hit loose tea in the bag
60g butter at room temperature (you can use butter alternatives)
1 large egg
240g plain spelt flour (or gluten free flour)
2 tsp baking powder
150g mixed fresh berries, chopped (blueberries, raspberries,
For the crumble topping
60g spelt flour
30g cold diced butter
1. Soak the Vit Hit tea bag in the milk and leave at room temperature to
infuse until the milk is lukewarm. Discard the tea bag.
2. Meanwhile heat the oven to 190C.
3. Line an 8X8 baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
4. In a mixing bowl cream the butter and honey until well mixed.
5. Add the egg and mix well, scraping the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
6. Mix the flour and baking powder and then add, alternating with the Vit
Hit infused milk and stir until just combined.
7. Gently fold in the berries.
8. Spoon the cake batter into the prepared pan.
9. To make the crumb topping, in a mixing bowl add the flour and sugar and
stir to combine.
10. With your fingers, rub the cold butter with the flour/sugar mixture until it
resembles fine crumbs. Sprinkle it over the cake batter.
11. Bake the cake in preheated oven for about 40 - 45 minutes or until a
toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
12. Leave the cake to cool completely in the pan before cutting into bars.
13. Enjoy with a cup of Vit Hit tea! (And some clotted or double cream if
you’re feeling in need of extra comfort.)